I had slightly stalled on the ‘Alphabites’ series for a number of reasons, but not least because I was a bit stumped by ‘E’. I even did an internet search on food beginning with E and there was nothing that really jumped out at me. I thought about doing something to do with eggs, and then I remembered an excellent recipe I had recently come across and made for an Egg Free Cake, and I decided to share that.
There are many egg free cake recipes out there. And dairy free, gluten free, sugar free etc. (See my previous dabbling in mashed potato cake; sweet potato brownies; black bean brownies; and in fact the gazillions of special diet recipe books on the market (at the risk of over using brackets – if you haven’t already come across Deliciously Stella then check her out for some light relief!).) What makes this one particularly appealing is that it is also known as ‘bare cupboard cake’ – the idea being that you can rustle it up from what you just happen to have in your cupboard, which is often not the case with special diet baking, in my experience. (Although of course this really does depend on what one has in ones cupboard.) It’s also very tasty.
Recipe from All Recipes:
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine or oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 175g raisins, currants or sultanas
- 350ml water
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease one 20cm square cake tin.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat combine the sugar, margarine or oil, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, salt, raisins and water. Bring to the boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together. Add the flour mixture to the cooled raisin mixture. Stir until just combined. Tip mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 20 minutes.
Oh, I didn’t take a photo. Whoops. It didn’t stay around long enough.